Hospital Waste contains twice as much PVC (plastics) as normal rubbish. When these are burned, toxic chemicals called dioxins and furons are produced.
- Dioxins are a group of chemically-related compounds that are persistent environmental pollutants (POPs).
- Dioxins are found throughout the world in the environment and they accumulate in the food chain, mainly in the fatty tissue of animals.
- More than 90% of human exposure is through food, mainly meat and dairy products, fish and shellfish. Many national authorities have programmes in place to monitor the food supply.
- Dioxins are highly toxic and can cause reproductive and developmental problems, damage the immune system, interfere with hormones and also cause cancer.
- Prevention or reduction of human exposure is best done via source-directed measures, i.e. strict control of industrial processes to reduce the formation of dioxins.
Source: World Heath Organisation.
So the question is, is Hexxus coming to Tarbolton?